Living Chola Descendants [2 Attachments]
  • Thanks Karthik for the interseting details.

A Cholan in Tiruchanur might be a Telugu Chola?

We were earlier debating about the mention of another chola in a pallava Copper plate donating Tirukkattuppalli ( Not the Tanjore one. This Tirukkattuppalli is near Ennore, Chennai) whether that chola is a Telugu Chola?

wiki-
    Many Telugu Choda kingdoms ruled over many regions including the cities on the banks of Krishna River in the period between the seventh and the thirteenth century. It is not known much about these family origins. Some of them claimed descent from the legendary Tamil Karikala Chola (200 BC). Telugu Cholas began their career as local chieftains in the Kadapa region in the seventh century. They may be identified with the people referred by the Chinese traveler Yuan Chwng as 'Chuliya'. The Telugu Chodas adopted the title Chola as an Honorary title and also to show the feudatory Status they had under the Chola-Chalukya rulers.
  • Maybe.. But the author in the second page says.. "Chozhanar Ulagaperumanar can be identified with Vijayalaya"

BTW, does the timeline of Dantivarman and Vijayalaya match??
  • Raja Raja Chozhan must be looking like "Nadigar Thilagam"

Sivaji Ganesan !

veegopalji
  • Dear sir,

Even I don't have enough knowledge about the main topic, in your words I found a confusion about the following words,

Also, Al beruni in his book, records the destruction of important forts in tamil nadu by the invading mohammedan forces. It is mentioned that certain "Jalkottah" near GKC was also attacked. The author believes it must be this "Devikottai" or "Theevukottai" as it was originally called.

I do not remember a reading that, there was an attack of mohammedan forces in tamilnadu on or before the time of alberuni...

The first attack of Mohammedan or Arab conquest happened in the year 712, in the Sindh country ( present southern Pakistan region ) and continued by their followers from eastern afganistan to east Bengal and further towards south...

Alberuni's time corresponds to the time of Rajendra Chola I. There is no possibility for the invasion of mohammedan forces in tamilnadu... I feel that, there is a mis-identification of " jalkottah "

If you have the words of alberuni, pls post sir...

Thanking You

Sakthi sree
  • Dear Sakthi,

Thanks a lot for pointing out the mistake.

It was not Al beruni. It was mentioned in the accounts given by Amir Khusru and Ibn Battuta (not sure about whose accounts the exact word was mentioned).

Krishnaswami Aiyangar in his book " South India and Her Muhammadan Invaders" analyses these accounts.

- Karthik Kalingarayar

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters