Khoh - ruins of a Vishnu temple
  • Hi Friends,
        Khoh does not have anything left now except a mound of ruins. However in his excavations, Alexander Cunningham found lots of artifacts and statues. A marvelous ekmukha-linga found here is exhibited at the National Museum, New Delhi. I saw this in my last trip to Delhi but did not have my camera with me so couldn't take a photo of that piece. May be next time....
        Though not important architecturally, Khoh is important for the Gupta history as not less than eight copper plate grants are found here. An interesting study about the feudatories of the Guptas is carried out using these important grants. All are dated in the Gupta Era.

A fine piece of Varaha, which was excavated by Cunningham, is now standing at the Municipality office of Unchehara, panchayat town near Khoh. Go through the article to understand that why having so many points against the independence of the feudatories, scholars accepted that the feudatories ruling over Khoh were independent.

Link - http://msg4saurabh.blogspot.com/2011/07/khoh.html

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters