Tigawa - A Hidden Jewel
  • Hi Friends,
        Tigawa has an early Gupta temple which has been described by many scholars. Tigawa is not a surprise for anyone who have read about Gupta history and architecture. However still not many people go and visit this monument because of many reasons. First, no proper map or location provided by people or any authority, second it does not lie near any other known pilgrim or picnic area. But those who know about it, will never miss a chance to visit again if passing by that area.
        Though no Gupta inscription has been found at this site, the temple is dated to the Guptas due to various similarities it shows with the Gupta style. Interestingly, it displays all the features which are recognized in the Gupta order. Some are:
    1. Bigger intercolumniation between central pillars
    2. River goddesses on top of pilasters
    3. Lion abacus above the pillars
    4. Style of pillars

5. T-shaped doorway
        I will be describing about all these feature in my final article on the Gupta architecture, after finishing with their monuments very soon. Link to Tigawa article is given below, I hope you will like it.

http://msg4saurabh.blogspot.com/2011/07/tigawa-hidden-jewel.html

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters