Murder of Aditya Karikala
  • Murder of Aditya Karikala

The story starts from the expedition of Varaguna Pandya II southwards in 878 and ends at 969 with the murder of Aditya Karikala. 91 years enemity.

In the epigraph of Ericha Udayar temple” Ambasamudram in Tirunelveli district ( Now it is in madras Museum) Pandya King Varaguna II in his RY 16 – AD 878 records a gift to the lord for food offering. ( ARE 1905 no 105) Varaguna II claims that this gift was made to the temple while the King Varaguna Maharaja was camping in Arasur on the Banks of Pennai in Thondainadu.

According to some ,A Kazhugumalai inscription of Varaguna II even mentions Pundanmalli.( Our Poonamalli). ( I dont have thedetails of the said inscription and any one having that, pl share with us)

Subsequently there is another interesting epigraph in Thiruvadigai (ARE 1921 no 360 ) where in Nirupatungavarman in his RY 18, AD 882 refers to a gift of 850 Kalanju of gold entrusted with the Nagaram of Adiraya Mangalam by the Pandya King Varaguna Maharaja to provide for the offering including “ Pachappayatruk Kummayam” to the temple of Thiruvirattana Mahadeva”

Initially there was an allianace between Varaguna II and Nirupatunga and they jointly fought a war with Lanka. Nirupatunga was supporting Varaguna II. Subsequently Varaguna waged a war with Nirupatunga and that is why he came upto Pennai, close to Villupuram.

Nirupatunga addresses the enemy respectfully as Varaguna Maharaja.

Similliarly we knew about the Thellar war between Nandivarman and Pandyas.

Srimara Srivallabha lost to Nandivarman. This victory was celebrated in many works like Nandikkalambagam, Perundevanar Bharatham. Later when Pandyas regained Cauvery delta, in an inscription at Lalgudi

(A. R. No. 120 of 1928-29.)
    Lalgudi, Lalgudi Taluk, Tiruchirappalli District.
    On the north wall of the Saptarishisvara temple
    This inscription is dated in the year opposite to the fourth of some king whose name is not given in it. It registers a gift of money made by the Pallava king Nandippottaraiyar who fought and won the battle of Tellaru, for burning a perpetual lamp in the temple of Mahadeva at Tiruttavatturai in Idaiyarru-nadu. The amount was received by the members of the assembly of Nallimangalam who bound themselves to bring to the temple and measure out daily (one) nail of ghee.As the other record (No. 12-B) engraved to close to this and dated in a similar way belongs to Maranjadaiyan alias Varaguna-maharaja, this may be also assigned to the same king.

A Pandya King while reconfirming the gift given by Nandivarma, addresses him respectfully as " Thellatrerinda Nandippotharayar". He not only addresses him as Potharayar, he also mentions a title of Pallava which actually denotesthe defeat of Pandyas.

But within a span of 10-20 years, these dignified approachvanishes from the scene.

We see all type of titles like - Pandiyanai Suram Irakkiya, Madurantaka, Pandya Kulasini, Chozhan thalai konda and Vira Pandiyan Thalai konda etc.

Pandyas and Pallavas considered each other as respectful enemies but that is missing in Chola vs Pandya/Pallava epigraphs.

Can westart the discussion now.
  • Wonderful start sir...really a different and logical perspective.
    great analysis..
  • The Ramayanam series is really an eye opener for me.'

I stumbled upon this and mentioned this in my last Ramayanam post - Villupuram Valisvarar. Looks no one had seen that, except you.
  • Hi Sankar sir,
    few points from my side:
    1. Nrpatungavarman helped a Pandya king as attested from his Bahur grant. Though
    the name of the Pandya king is not given, this could be Varaguna II.
    2. As per T V Mahalingam, accession of Varaguna II is not very clear. He
    suggested a theory: Varaguna II's father Srimara Srivallabha defeated Ceylon
    king Sena I. Sena II, after succeeding his uncle Sena I, invaded Pandya kingdom
    to take revenge. Srimara Srivallabha was defeated and he fled from the
    battlefield and probably died. Sena II installed his viceroy and left to his
    country. Varaguna II had to fight with this viceroy to get Pandya kingdom back.
    In this Nrpatungavarman helped him.
    3. Varaguna II ascended the throne in 862 CE, as per his inscription at
    Aviramalai.
    4. Srimara Srivallabha could have been defeated in the hands of Nandivarman III,
    father of Nrpatungavarman.
    5. I am little confused or unsure about the war between Pandya king Varaguna II
    and Nrpatungavarman. Varaguna II camping at Arasur could be to help his friend
    Nrpatungavarman against Kampavarman/Aparajitavarman or the Cholas. I feel that
    we need to explore this a little more.
    I would request you to please search for 'Nrpatungavarman', 'Kampavarman' and
    'Aparajitavarman' sections in
    http://indian-art-architecture.blogspot.com/2010/11/history-of-last-rulers-of-pallavas.html
    to get a new look at the positions of the Pandyas, Pallavas and Cholas in later
    phase of the Pallavas.
    Please revert back with your observations.
  • Dear Saurabh

I have dealt with some of these points in Villupuram Valisvarar posted 2 days back.

Dr R N sir had dealt with some of the aspects of this subject.

In Villupuram post i have narrated first as per TV mahalingam, explained the gap then given the link of Velanjeri plates by Dr R N sir, then the corrected dates.

You can take that as the back ground.

Looks there were 3 wars that Nirupatunga fought in Cauvery delta. The final being Thiruppurambiyum. Before that the first one was fought at the banks of Arasili in which Pallavas seems to have won. ( Kanchi Mahaswami says Villupuram was created after this victory). Then it seems the second was won by Pandyas.

Sadasivap Panadarathar had mentioned about this.

Just go through My Villupuram valisvarar post and the Link of Dr R N.

Please carry forward the discussion as i am also not much clear on the events starting from this.

I am interesteed in knowing the various inncidents of this period - sinceall of of the Ramayana panels belong this period.
  • Dear All

Can we continue this subject.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters