Ponneri Visit
  • Friends

Had been to Ponneri area in search of a valisvaram. Have found and will post soon.

We were guided wrongly ( My family said later - can we find out that guy who misguided us  and thank him. Otherwise we would have never visited these places)

1. Devadanam.

This place has a beautiful Ranganathar temple. The beauty is un describable. Sudhai moorti and the ornaments are actually embedded saligramams. Brahma from the nabi, Sridevi and Boodevi . Hanuman and Tumburu at the feet.

No recorded inscriptions.

http://www.divyadesam.com/hindu-temples/south-indian-temples/tamil-nadu-temples/sri-ranganathar-temple-devadanam.shtml

2. Thiruvellavasal

A beautiful siva temple. recorded inscriptions of Parthivendra Pallava (967 AD)and Rajendra 1.

Gurukkal said a Uthama inscription also was copied. Current name vayilisvara and inscriptional name Sri vamisvaramudayar in Thiruvellaivayil.

Beautiful Muruga - Brahma sastha type. A big group started following me inside the temple, since outsiders rarely come to the temple. When i asked them about the goshta images, they said the images were damaged long back and hence kept outside and took me there.

Then they took me to other side ( outside the temple and on the banks of the tank) and asked  about  the half buried devi. It is Jeshta. beautiful image. Immediately i remembered an old post of our Gokul on the similarities between Thirupparamkundram Murugan and Jeshta.

They asked me to tell them about the inscriptions and when i called them and told the antiquity of the temple - they were delighted. They want some one to renovate the temple.

3. Thiruppalaivanam

beautiful gajabrashta temple and is bigger in size. Tiruppalesvara. Has inscriptions from Vikrama chola period. Tirupparrurai in inscriptions. Excellently sand blasted.

4. Ponneri. the suburb is called Thiruvayppadi. Has a beautiful Karikrishna temple. No inscriptions but the moorti is older.

The moorti is Rajagopala.

As we found that Rajagopala was worshipped as Srividya - In this town annualy, when the swami comes out in Mohini alankaram, the local agastheesvara visits the temple to see the Mohini. That utsavam is referred as " Serthi Sevai" - a grand function.  ( we missed Agastheesvavar and later found that a 10th c Inscription was recorded in this temple on provision made for reciting vedas and aranyakas)

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2004/09/03/stories/2004090300780600.htm

But what the above article missed out is that the tilting is not due to any architectural marvel but  due to sand blasting.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters