References to Tamil - Dynasties, Countries, in Mahabharatha
  • Author - Virarajendra

References to Tamil - Dynasties, Countries, in Mahabharatha

The "original Sanskrit Mahabharatha written by Sage Viyasa" has many
    references to the Tamil Royal Dynasties and to the Tamil Countries of
    South India, and other geographical locations within, that were known
    to him during the period of the Mahabharatha war. I trust same will be
    of much interest to the research - scholars and students of Tamil
    History, and append below same for their reading.

I have selected the version of "Mahabharatha" translated into English
    Prose by "Mr Kisari Mohan Ganguli" from the original Sanskrit
    Text of Sage Viysa, and published by Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers
    (Pvt) Ltd, New Delhi, India, from which the following have been
    extracted.
  • Excellent !

veegopalji
  • More to add"

1. The Pandyas valour in the war is mentioned with many verses. It looks he commanded the war for 1/2 a day ( considering the war is for 18 days and 1/2 a day is a very significant part). I couldnot recollect whethere they were in Pandava side or Gaurava side? Pl recheck that.

2. That may be one reason why Pandyas translated Bharatam in Tamil - Chinnamanoor plates. They also mention that they won over Arjuna.

3. Arjuna undertook a theertha yatra while in vanavas. ( The Alli rani of Madurai is a well known story) In this yatra he renovated 2 temples in Tamilnadu. ( That renovation not in Vyasa Bharatam) but Appar mentions it in Vijayamanagai ( Vijayan is the other name of Arjuna)

"Panduvi Maindan Parthan Pani sei Vijayamangai"- Appar.

The other temple is nangoor divyadesam - Parthanpalli but no mention in Divyaprabandam.

4. Parasurama Theertha Yatra. This i could not recollect whether in Mahabharatam or Bhagavatam. Krishna sends Balarama out on Piligrimage during the war.In that Balaramas visit to Kanchi Kamakshi, Rameswaram were all mentioned.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters