Some queries from a newcomer to the group
  • Dear all,

I recently joined the group, having discovered its existence serendipitously just a few weeks back. I sincerely regret all the years of discussions I have missed in the group. My discovery of this excellent site makes me wonder how many other interesting sites may be there on the Internet that I am yet unaware of: like the exact opposite of what software engineers say about bugs-discovery of one bug makes it likely that there are 3 more undiscovered ones in the software.

I am immensely enjoying the various threads of discussions, although the sheer volume of 20-30 messages a day makes it hard to even finish reading them all, not to speak of touching the archive of past messages that I see has a mind boggling 39000+ messages since the group got started.

I wanted to ask a few questions relating to Amarar Kalki's Ponniyin Selvan (PS). I can't think of a better forum of experts than you all to ask these queries. May be these questions have been dealt with in the past within the group. If so, I would appreciate if someone can point out the message numbers or at least the relevant years when they may have been discussed so I can do a second-level archeological search within the group's archive -)

1) Has the novel been translated into any other languages besides English? I believe Indra Neelameggam has done an English translation.
    2) Which of the characters in the novel are definitely fictitious, or Kalki's creation? I believe Kalki gave a brief account right after he finished the last chapter, in the form of a Q&A, where he indicated that Nandini was not a historical figure. What about Kandamaran, Manimekalai, Parthibendrappallavan?
    3) Is there any definitive historical evidence that Adittakarikaalan met an unnatural death (either murder or suicide) and how?
    4) On truly historical characters, are there historical evidences of specific events described in PS: e.g., the dhumaketu (vaalnakshatram), Karikalan killing veera pandiyan, Arulmozhi being sent to lead the chola army to fight in Eezham, Periya pazhuvettaraiyar committing suicide, etc. Perhaps someone has compiled a list of characters and events in the novel that are surely historical, ones that are surely fictional, and others that only God and Kalki know.

By the way, I truly believe that there is no better historical novel in the world than Ponniyin Selvan, at least based on a statistical inference from my readings in 4-5 languages.

Best regards.
    Prabhakar
  • hi prabhakar

Welcome - we all had the same questions as yours and discussed them thread
    bare- search our archives and you will find all the answers

just a quick recap

1) as of now only eng translation done

2) Kandamaran, Manimekalai, Parthibendrappallavan, nandhi - all fictional

3) Ak was assasinated - search for Udayarkudi kalvettu in our archives.

4) the dhumaketu (vaalnakshatram) - fictional

Karikalan killing veera pandiyan - true event - he was beheaded and the head
    put on a stake to rot outside tanjore - this is supported by copper plate
    grants, however when kalki wrote PS he was aware of only the title of AK as
    veera pandya talai konda. there was speculation if it meant actual beheading
    or just taking the crown. now we know it was physical beheading.

Arulmozhi being sent to lead the chola army to fight in Eezham - no records
    found to support this as of now

Periya pazhuvettaraiyar committing suicide - Periya Pazhu himself fictional
    character
  • Dear New member Mr. Prabhakar,

Welcome to our Group.

You will be getting now daily digests instead of emails.

ANY MEMEBER CAN CHANGE THIS SETTING TO DAILY DIGEST / NO EMAIL.

One can sign in through yahoo groups - ponniyinselvan - see the mails and reply as we are doing.

Pld so share more of your experiences re Kalki - his fictions - other areas of interest re Literature / History etc. etc.

very best wishes,

sps & other moderators
  • Re ( PERIYA ) PAZHUVETTARAYAR - related to Pazhuvur - keezhaiyur - there are very very interesting details / photos etc.,

What happened to them later ?

Vikrama wrote a sequal :: VANDHIYATHEVAN VAAL.
    NANDHIPURATHU NAYAGI

Writer Balakumaran wrote a sequal : UDAYAR ( 6 Volumes)

R.Venkat in the name of Anusha Venkat wrote one sequal :

KAVIRI MYNDHAN

our Moderator Gokul has also written a related Story - Rajakesari - re Rajaraja.

These are published as books.

all these details are also available in the Archieves.

sps
    ==========

Dear Vijay - Thiru, Sri, Gokul, Dhivakar and friends,

I think we can consolidate some details and make a Welcome - New member News letter.

Also include essential details in our Home page.

Pls advise.

sps

==========
  • Moderators,

When the moderators approve the membership to a person there is an option of
    welcome letter.

Why we have that welcome letter pointing to the links in the varalaaru.com /
    our archives where most of the questions posted by our new members have been
    discussed.

It could be link to

1. Who killed Karikalan
    2. Father of Nandhini
    3. Real and Fictitious characters in PS

~ Udanx

My 2 cents
  • Dear sps, vj (and others),

Thank you very much for the prompt and complete response to my queries. 

Somehow I never thought that Periya Pazhuvettariyar is a fictional character; so I guess "pollaada Kalki avarkaL" successfully pulled the wool over my eyes with his authentic sounding "dhanaadikhari, dhaanyapandaara naayakkar, iRai vithikkum devar, irubattunalu pOrkaLil arubattunaangu vizhuppuNkalaipeRRa tirumEniyar" and all that jazz. If I ever get a chance meet Kalki, I will definitely take issue with him not only about his taking his leave from life so early but also about this hoodwinking of a gullible reader.

It will definitely be useful for the group to have a FAQ for the benefit of newcomers like me answering some of our "standard" questions.

Re. sps's query about my interests, although alas I can not claim any special talents, I did grow up on and fondly remember novels, short stories, and all types of other writings of Kalki, and of others like Devan, Maayaavi, Naa.Parthasarthy, Lakshmi, Akilan, Anuttama, Rajam Krishnan, Kottamangalam Subbu, Jayakantan, Raa.ki. Rangarajan, Indira Parthasarathy, S.Ranganayaki, etc. I am also generally interested in literature, music, and history of various countries/regions.

Best regards.
    Prabhakar
  • Dear sps, vj (and others),

Thanks for the prompt and complete response to my queries.

It will be a definite help to have a FAQ for the benefit of newcomers like me. That will also save the labour and tedium for stalwarts from having to spend time and answer same questions over and over again from many.

I never suspected that periya pazhuvEttaraiyar is a fictional character. Looks like "pollaada Kalki avarkal" successfully pulled the wool over my eyes with his authentic sounding "dhanaadikaari, dhaanya panDaaranaayakar, iRaividikuum devar, irupattinaangu pOrkaLil aRupattinaangu vizhuppunkaLai mEniyil peRRavar" and all that jazz.

If I ever get to meet Kalki, now I have to quarrel with him not only about his leaving so early from his life but also about this hoodwinking of a gullible reader!

Re. sps's query about my interests, alas I have no claim to any special talents, but I have grown up with & have abiding admiration for Kalki's novels, short stories and many other types of writings, as well as of many other writers like Devan, Maayaavi, Akilan, Naa. Parthasarathi, Lakshmi, Ki.Va.Jagannathan, Jayakaantan, Indira Parthasarhi, Rajam Krishnan, Kottamangalam Subbu, and so on. I also enjoy literature as well as music of different genres in a few languages, and have a general interest in history, religion, architecture, etc.

Best regards.
    Prabhakar

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters