• freinds,

from the photographs it is evident that the bricks have been looted atleastas much as 50% of what i have seen 4-5 years ago. very very poor maintanence of this important heritage. ASI is not involved in this project. that is the problem. there were no security even when i saw that place in 2003&2005. the whole area should atleast be covered by polythene sheet!every time i see lot of 1000 year old bricks missing.

the gkc temple is being renovated for some 25 years now. i had seen the temple in complete ruins in 1980. (when i go to kudanthai from vriddhachalam)since then it has been meticulously improved by ASI. a good work!

in 1990-1994 te place was at the mercy of a guard who used to collect 10-20 rs and take us to the upper chamber (which is completely closed and locked). there were no formal steps to climb to the chamber over the lingam. a weak brick construction lead us to a small aperture in the sealing. the aperture would have to be reached by a rope ladder prior to this arrangement. the aperture can be closed by a stone slab after reaching the upper chamber.

the upper chamber had two portions. the exterior had a hall and it had an opening to inner chamber. the opening must have had a revolving stone image of a god ( which by that time had been removed0 all we could see was two wholes for the revolving gate to move around. when the revolvig image is rotated the hidden passage might emrege. that was the plan.

the inner chamber had a big hall right above the lingam and its ceiling was conical and could reach up to the cupola over the gopuram(that is about 80 feets). a whiste noise can have neat echo. there were excellent ventilatory provision through the small holes in the gopuram and the hall was cool. ther was a small opening in the middle of the hall and we could see the lingam from above through this hole.

the inner chamber had a praharam and it was extremely dark. a darkness i have never seen in my life. i could not see my own waving hand in front of my face. but there was ventilation and it was cool inside. it was said as much as 1000 elite troops can stay here for a few days without anyone's notice even if the temple is captured by enemies.

these two chambers can be seen from outside if you look at the gopuram from the sides. this uniqueness is not known to many.

GKC has been a symbol of hope, pride, happiness and antidepressant for me for the past 20-30 years. i know the nooks and corner of it. i have been visiting this temple almost every year and never felt tired.

one sandeswara-anugraharr image in the northern side of the temple is marvelous piece. it has to protected at any cost. its three dimensional effect is breath taking. it is originaly one of the surviving image of rajaraja himself. it is carved in the memory of him and the hidden theme is actually RRC crowning RJC.

the whole are that is 20-30 km radius needs lot of excavations. local people are very innocent and they are not to be blamed for the loss of artifacts but some other vested interests may be . like the stupid british collector in 1900s who ordered the portion of the wall to be removed for the construction of the lower anaicutt.

i have not known any tunnel or suranga padhai in this area. even though it is widely beleived to exist. i have heard people in this region telling me about gold dust and small gold pellets being washed out from the temple premises after floods.

there are lot of able bodied men named rajendran from this region. i talk to them when i travel in the bus from chidambaram. i would feel they are the reincarnations of RJC.so much so far now. i can not FORGET GKC even in sleep. it is in my deep heart.

gandhi
    chidambaram

gandhi
  •  
    Dear Gandhi sir,

It is nice to hear from you about gkc. You are rightly said that there is no proper security in the maligai medu. Any one can easily take away the not only bricks even the idols which kept there. After 6 in the evening any thing can happen there.

Are we allowed to go the upper chambers nowadays?

• dear all,

while surfing i have found a web site giving some details about the book GANGAI KONDA CHOLAPURAM by DR.R.Nagasamy. many of us may have this book. for the someone who dont have this book like me pls take a look at this site http://www.tamilartsacademy.com/books/gcpuram/chapter01.html

thanking you
  • dear sree

Tamil arts academy is dr rn 's site, maintained by his son. Sir, is
    currently in KL for a conference - his enthusiasm at such an advanced age (
    he is 80 ) is truly inspiring
  • Dear all
    Plesae find a lovely description of Sandeswara morthy in GKC attached.
    Interestingly the author describes that RJC had this sculptured as his replica.
    I am not sure if that is true or if he was borrowing a line and thought from Vengaiyin Mainthan where the chief sirpi decides to make a replica of the emperor in the guise of Chandeswara.

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/magazine/article2308298.ece

KR

Sri
    If I can stop one heart from breaking,I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin, Into his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    Emily Dickinson

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters