histtory of marriage
  • Hi,

>Also the thaali very much exists in northern indian communties also >as 'mangal sutra'. Marwari and Gujarati women attach great importance to >it.

Marwaris and Gujarathi wearing a thread around the neck is quite different from the " concept & importance" of thaali of south india.

In TN, some muslim community also wear black thread during marriage. But the significance of it is different from thaali

Moreover north indian community is primarily from UP,MP,Bihar,Punjab,Delhi etc where there is no such practice.
  • They regarded as 'mangal sutra', and dont remove it at any cost until the husband passes away. One marwari friend of mine would not even remove it for a scan during medical exam. How do you think it is different? There was a great debate on this issue on tv prior to this Diwali, i forget channel sorry, the debate ended with several women stating the concept is outdated and those who need to keep the sentiment can keep it but definitiely not all.

It is hilarious when you ask if 'God is one sided', really, perhaps. Nature/God has not designed two gender to be 'same', equality and sameness are different. Equality of man made rules ensures justice and self esteem, where you make one gender adhere to rules and other go scot free with no accountability ensures oppression.
  • inge oru pudhumaipenn!!!

tv channel talk show ai poi seriousaa eduthundu pesareengale....adhellaam competition to adithya channel and sirippoli channel....

talk show la pesardha ketta vadivelu, goundamani, vivek comedy ellaam onnume illainnu aaidum..

orey comedy storyaa irukkum.... pala samayam enakku sirichu sirichu vayithu valiye vandhirukku....enakku eppellaam adithya and sirippoli bore adikkudho appallam i tune into these talk shows... orey chip chipaa varum....

adhey maadhri one non talk show was showing "kaasiyin nija mugam".. with all bayamuruthals.. end what they showed?? aghoris eating nara maamsam..

adappaavingala, this is prevalent from long....idhai build up panni overaa kaatraanga...

i have read in a aghora trilogy book that there used to be a aghori called "telang swami" who worshipped viswanathar with his own faeces..

idhellaam onnume illai...

edhukku solrenna, TV kaaranga velaiye onnum illaadhadhai oodhi perisaakkardhu.. they are paid for that...
  • ayaaa.... inthe full custome western part of india la irunthu thaan vanthirukkum... gujju / marwari etc ellame ange thaan irukkanga...

as far as i see it thaali is of no significant importance, it is very powerful to be used on Ra Ma Narayanan movies or stupid serials.

Intha mathiri vilangatha principles ellam vechinda nambo baggage going forward is going to be very tough.... today i am saying this, tomorrow if our own children question the mayhem behind this, do we have a genuine answer to back them up?

Summa intha logic illama women can conceive and men cannot so is nature one sided ella ketta, badil solla mudiyuma ?
    The bondage between mother and child is pure nature, no matter what men do, their bond is sealed with their mother.

The whole point of this history discussion is, how much we have deviated from the actual law of nature and what is man made rules. Like every one is below the law, law of nature is supreme...

Avasiyam ungalukku pulla pethukkanum na... Junior nu oru padam irukku, paarunga... may be u can get ideas, but dont share them lol :-)

athenna sir... ponnunga tharaya parthu nadakkanum, ambalainga enga venalum pakkalama ??? Rombo tooooo much....

Good for us, metti and metti oli are out dated... illena... kanna... veetla visesham thaan...

marriage itself is a symbolic nu sonna... intha jaathi / madam / sub jaathi etc parthu... kalyanam panrathu ellame comedy....

- R
  • wait for some time. hold it till we get more details
  • In Hinduism woman has been given more authority.

1. No karma is permitted w.o wife.

2. A widow still can do some karmas but a widower cannot.

3. According to smrutis - 50% of Husband's Punya transfered to wife but His Papa has to be kept by himself. Where as the wife's Punya remains with her but 50% of papa transfered to husband.

4. Vishnu cannot go on procession without devis. Even in Garuda seva where he goes alone the lakshmi remains in his Vakshastalam. Simillarly there is no processional siva deity. It is either Pradosha moorthy with devi, Sa Uma Skandar or chandrasekara with uma.

( Only in some temples Bikshadanar goes) But lakshmi and Devi have independent processions.

5. Infact even in garbagraha, shiva has a femal deity inside the sanctum. parvati is independent.
  • Saar nalladhu endha madhiri vandhalum eduthukkarudula enna thappu? 'Eppurul yaar vaai ketkinum appurl mei porul kanbadhu arivi' endru kural illaya? I dont watch tv at all saar, edho oru dharam oorla irundha po one or two programs that is all. I don't outrightly condemn or accept anything, nalla debates vandha adha accept pannaradhula enna thappu? In TN - oreyadiya naathikam pesama logicala balanceda pesara ladies ethana per irukanganu perumaya irundhadhu that is all.

Neenga pudhamai penn endru sonnadhu i take it as compliment, thank you.

Malathi
  • There are two aspects to any religion - one is what it is in theory, another is what it is in practice.There is no religion that is free of the big wide gap that separates the two. The same religion you say that accords 'more authority' to women is what shaved 15 year old widows and sat them in dark rooms for a life time, glorified sati and twisted all practices including karmic rites for parents with daughters and marriage symbols to be one sided and suiting segments of population. We must not hesitate to see the gap between theory and practice or else it is something that will never be bridged.
  • aahaa ella pengalum ippadi ayitta... ennoda 'thaali kaatha veli amman' padam flop ayidume :-)

TV talk shows / reality shows ellame dumil thaan ninaikaren, ellame staged maathiri irukku... infact, kaun banega crore pathi kooda konjam inteligenta irukkum... but ippo ellam, use of brain automatically disqualifies the contestant case la irukku...

Deala no deala ? Rename as : ungal sinthanaikku oru savaal... :)
    As good as a lottery case... have we come so much desperate towards money or is TV the only outlet we have? (A subject of another topic though :-) )

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100111/sc_livescience/couchpotatoesmayhaveshorterlives

- R
  • Sir... ithuvee jaasthi...

First lets get to a conclusion of what / who is defined as a husband or wife under which conditions / process, athukappuram thaan Karma ellam varum :-)

>> A widow still can do some karmas but a widower cannot.
    I think that is a + for the male... If a certain ritual is not performed that could possibly mean the departed soul is deprived (??)...

>> 4. Vishnu cannot go on procession without devis. Even in Garuda seva where he goes alone the lakshmi remains in his Vakshastalam.

Kadavul nu vanthitta enna aan kadavul penn kadavul :-) U can split that as an idol but the energy / force is one. Whats the stone without the energy in it ?

nammaazhvaar paasuram - aaNum allan peNNum allan, aliyum allan

Lakshmi cannot be separate from Vishnu neither Parvathi from Parameswara, they do not exist that way.

Innum oru story kelvi patirukken, that if a male child is not there then the parents cannot have moksham etc... not sure how far this is true but it came from a very renowned scholar in sanskrit / vedas...

Again, I guess thats a different story/thread all together.

After all this discussion, kalyanam thaan katikitu odipolama song la ul artham irukiratha enakku thonuthu :-)

- R
  • Boss

I think you need to understand the society of that period and membokkana karhukkala koorama.

Those people respected their duties more and lived for it.

Second - Since the Hindu worship is with both male and female forms - it is a way of telling the society that female is more important.

Third, as i told there is a mantra while offering the girl to the boy which states that get more sons to develop my family.

If you wholely undersatnd the Karma principle - then you will not talk like one will go to hell w.o son by part quotimg. That is quoted out of context. That was to encourage more children and not to stop with 2.
  • Then what is to be opposed= Theory or practise.

The evils have only to be removed. ( remember my first article on Periyar's help to Hinduism? which was removed.)
  • >> If you wholely undersatnd the Karma principle

Athu therinja peche varrathe :) Thalaikku pinnadi light thaane eriyum :)

The son etc is not my view, please read properly what is written...

1.> Second - Since the Hindu worship is with both male and female forms - it is a way of telling the society that female is more important.
    2.> That was to encourage more children and not to stop with 2.

rombo Logic idikkuthe...
  • Neither, accept what is human and compassionate in theory or practice. We have had lots of very open discussions here on Periyar with both pros and cons of what he did. As Venkat pointed out passionate religion is for passionate religious forums - a discussion of history on any subject demands we distance ourselves a little from personal loyalties. Also just fyi all those of us who appear 'liberal' are not any less informed - for example Ravi is probably the best authority you can find on any shaivite/relgious topics (some of even had a mental image of him as a 'sivappazham' :).

Just some thoughts to you, if you have patience to stick around you might find us quite nice, every one has had their share of bickerings before this happens :))
  • ayoo ithenna vamba pochu... i am no siva pazham, i am a humble follower of the rebel who wanted the siva pazham ;)

And, actual periyavargal (real genius personnel etc) ellam irukkanga inge, my token is way behind in the list.

Rombo naala Malathi ezuthave illai nu enakku bayangara varutham... now that she's back, i guess other makkals who are hibernating will be back too... group kalai katta arambikkum...

Vairam etc missing in action...

> Just some thoughts to you, if you have patience to stick around you might find us quite nice, every one has had their share of bickerings before this happens :))

Vanthiya devan, alvarku adiyan ellarum inge irukkanga :)

Rombo naala Malathi ezuthave illai nu enakku bayangara varutham... now that she's back, i guess other makkals who are hibernating will be back too... group kalai katta arambikkum...

Vairam etc missing in action...
  • sir

who is that rebel?? konjam engalukkum puriyara maadhiri sollunga...punniyamaa pogum..
  • adhaye dhaan madam naanum solren..

meipporul kaanunga on talk shows.. sathiyamaa kandu pidikka mudiyaadhu...

also religion and customs are like Venghaayam (onion).. urikka urikka onnum irukkaadhu...

as sps sir pointed out, have faith in religion and customs, you would benefit....

yes it has own blemishes... but not governed by scriptures.. developed over a period of time and circumstances prevailing at that point of time..inge ukkaandhu post mortem panna mudiyaadhu...

and instead of getting violent on penn urimai and other stuff, please also understand tha debating will solve no problems as in tlk shows.. makes people take extreme positions than before.. like current debate here..

oru ullaarndha change venum... that can happen only in harmony... ellam anubavichaa dhaan kidaikkum...

namakku irukkum arivaal vaichu aaraaindhaal nothing can happen.... edho oru sakthi nammai indha prapanchathodu thodarpu paduthughiradhu... we must try to be in harmony with that shakti...

i know that my post might not be logical sounding to pragmatic human beings like you.. but this the fact...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters