Pandya Fort in Madurai
  • Not sure if this was discussed earlier.
    Do we have forts / palace of pandya in and around madurai? Is it true that
    there was something called then madurai which was destroyed in tsunami?

~ Udanx
  • Hi
    2 issues here

madurai fort must have been rebuilt by the sultanate, the nayaks and we here reports of it during yusuf khan's period.thats as close as 250 years.
    i remember seeing a 150 year old map of madurai which showed a moat.

venketesh
  • I think the madurai which is said to be destroyed by tsunami is the same as we call as kumari kandam? I'm not sure if there was any other madurai which was close to the shore to be destroyed by tsunami.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumari_kandam

anyone else?

To: ponniyinselvan@yahoogroups.com
  • hi udanx

have read that the tamil sangams were held in madurai of yore. twice the
    land was taken by the sea ( hence the lack of texts !!) and the pandya kings
    moved it further inland and is now in the present madurai - the earliest
    record i think is either 4th or 3rd C.E greek accounts of the latest
    madurai. so there were 2 more as per folklore
  • The old fort was dismantled by the british and the stone slabs were used to lay the roads. You can see those slabs even today on pavements of many streets around Meenatchi temple. The west gate is the only part of it still remaining. It is opposite to the town bus station ( periar bus station.)

Nedunalvaadai gives an exquisite write up of the fort and palace of Pandian Nedunceliyan of the 2 century BC.
  • > Nedunalvaadai gives an exquisite write up of the fort and palace of Pandian Nedunceliyan of the 2 century BC.

madurai was supposed to be lotus shaped. any references?

>
  • I request all the interested members to take a look at Aaalavai by Thriu Narasaiyah. Very good book.
    G

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters