Srikrishnadhevaraya - 500
  • Friends,

You all aware the Great Krishna Dheva Raya was crowned as Emperor of Vijayanagara on 1509 CE, and exactly five hundred years passed away now. The Karnataka Government has recently celebrated  at Hampi marking as

Dr. Prema Nandakumar recently in her talks mentioned that if not Krishnadheva Raya, what would have been we now? and it was terrific to imagin, when you observe the situation in south India during 1300 to 1400 CE.

Personally I feel that if Kalki  was alive for another 10 years, he would have written another magnum opus, on Sri Krishnadhevaraya. His works were earlier planned in such a way in SS and PS., i.e. Mahendra/Narasimha, and RRC.

Though KDR ruled just for 20 years he left the impression to future that 'if not he ruled' . That it self was the greatest acheivement, I feel.

In memory of the great King, I request SPS and others to share their informations and thoughts on KDR and let PSVP give a fitting memorial to the great King.

I too have written a small article in Tamil about his contribution to Tamil literature (!), in my blog
    http://aduththaveedu.blogspot.com/2009/10/blog-post.html

Hope the contribution of information will flow on KDR.

• Hi
    could somebody post their opinion on NAAN KRISHNADEVARAYAN by ra ki rangarajan

i think thats the only tanil novel on this great king.

venketesh
  • Vertri thirunagaram of Akilan also has Krishna Devaraya as an important
    character in it.
  • Dear Dhivakar-

Your article on KDR's 'Amuktamaalyata" in your blog is informative highlighting the hidden literary talent of the royalty.  Your narration of the topic in Tamil is as extraordinary as the subject is ! Very well done, I thoroughly enjoyed the reading.  If KDR was 'Tulu' speaking why did he attempt to write this literature in Telugu ? Also it appears that his court language was Telugu, not Kannada or Tulu.  The dominance of Telugu in the post Vijaya Nagara empire in Deccan and rest of South India is a notable feature of our history.

• vijayanagara was ruled by 4 dynasties

sangama, saluva, tuluva, aravidu

krishnadevaraya belonged to the third

its very interesting to study the last king of each dynasty
    Ratiratna Pradipika was an erotic encyclopedia was written by the last king of the first dynasty- Praudha Devaraya who was an unpopular king of Vijayanagara Empire who ruled for a very short period of time being driven out of the capital by his able commander Saluva Narasimha Deva Raya in 1485.

even krishnadeva raya's father seems to have seized the kingdom from his boss

venketesh
  • >
    > You all aware the Great Krishna Dheva Raya was crowned as Emperor of Vijayanagara on 1509 CE, and exactly five hundred years passed away now. The Karnataka Government has recently celebrated  at Hampi marking as
    >
    > Dr. Prema Nandakumar recently in her talks mentioned that if not Krishnadheva Raya, what would have been we now? and it was terrific to imagin, when you observe the situation in south India during 1300 to 1400 CE.

> Though KDR ruled just for 20 years he left the impression to future that 'if not he ruled' . That it self was the greatest acheivement, I feel.

Hi Diwaker

the elimination of the muslim rule in south india was not achieved by krishnadevaraya but 150 years before by his predecessors.

i realise krishnadevaraya was a great king but did he rewrite the history of the region remains a doubt.

those muslim kingdoms he defeated rose once again to destroy his kingdom during later years.
    he destroyed the gajapathis of orrisa who would have been strong allies against muslims.
    his friendly relationship with the portugese allowed eurpoeans to set foot strongly in west india

venketesh

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters