Nagai Buddhist tower
  • I'm so sorry but I've lost the name of the friend who is doing work on
    the destroyed tower near Nagapattinam.
    I have found the sketch which is taken from Sir Walter Elliot. I have no scanner but could mail it to him.
    here's a quote I think from James Burgess [not sure, clipping separated from source]
    ". . .Negapattam. . .was the great port of Tanjor and the Kaveri delta, and was noted as a seat of Buddhist worship. We learn that a Buddhist temple here was endowed by Rajendra Chola I. in 1006 A.D., and that it had been built by one 'Chulamanavaram King of Kidaram or Kataja" --possibly in south Burma or Siam. And in a later grant Kulottunga Chola I., in 1090, made gifts to at least two Buddhist temples here, whilst a Burmese inscriptions of the 15th century mentions a visit to Negapattam by some Buddhist priests from Pego.
    One remarkable fragment survived till 1867, about a mile NW of N., in a ruined brick tower of three storeys about 70 ft. high,locally known as Puduveli-gopura,and to Europeans as the "China pagoda." The interior was open to the top, but showed marks of a floor about 20 ft. from the ground. The brickwork was described as good and closely fitted together w/o cement, and the storeys were marked off by outside cornices of stepped brickwork, with an opening for a door window in the middle of each side. It s general appearance in 1846 is presented in the accompanying woodcut (no. 116). This structure had probably formed part of one of the temples mentioned in the 11th century. With the consent of the Madras Govt., it was pulled down by the Jesuit priests who had been expelled from the French territory of Pondicherry in 1845, and in its demolition several images of Buddha were found--the pedestal of one of them bearing an old Tamil inscription.
    ftnote: In 1859 the Jesuit missionaries asked permission to pull it down and use the materials for their college, and the dist. engineer, reporting upon it as not deserving the name of an ancient monument, recommended that an estimate of Rs. 400 for its conservation should be cancelled, and the tower demolished. Sir. W Elliot opposed this, and the bldg would have been preserved, but the Jesuit priests threw obstructions in the way, and nothing was done. In 1867 they presented a fresh petition for permission to demolish it, which was granted. 'Indian Antiquary, vol. vii, pp224 et seqq. vol. xii, p311 and vol. xxii, p.45. " Hope this is new to him. Kathie B.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters