2. ThirukkannaMangai
    3. Thirukkannapuram
    4. Thirukannan Kavithalam and
    5. Thirukovilur.
    Please give me the currentplace names
  • Dear friends,
    Please post the answer to Sridher's query about the
    current names of the Pancha Krsnaraya Kshetrams,
    for everyone to see. I'd really like to know, too.

I have Thirukovilur as a Saiva site -- something to do with
    Andakasuramardana Shiva ??
    I'd really like to know their locations, also, if anyone has
    that information.
    Kathie
  • Dear Sridher
    The Pancha Krishna Kshetrams fall within the territory called "Krishnaaranyam" which starts fromThiru naraiyur.
    1. Thiru Naraiyur - now known as Naachiyar Kovil-  on the Kumbakonam Tiruvarur route.

2.Thirucherai- about 3 miles from Naachiyaar Kovil.

3.Thirukkannamangai- Thirucherai to Tiruvarur route.

4.Thirukannapuram- Accessible from Tiruvarur as well as Nagappattinam.

5.Thirukkanangudi- On the Nagappattinam Tiruvarur route.

Try to make it to Thirukkannapuram late evening say after 8p.m. They have a puja at 9p.m where the Naivedyam is called 'Muniyodaran Pongal' which u'll get only with advanced bkg.'cos only the said quantity is made everyday. You can watch the Maniam measuring out the ingredients to the cook in front of the Lord. When you partake this Prasadam in the silent atmosphere of the temple late in the evening with very few people around, the whole experience is Divine.

May be your list is also Pancha Krishna Kshetram. There are always diff. versions as far as temples & Mythology are concerned.
    Kavithalam is Kapisthalam now & is near Kumbakonam. Thirukovilur is near Tiruvannamali.

Kathie
    Tirukovilur apart from being a saivite site also has a Divya Desam- The Lord is Trivikrama .
  • Dear Sridher,

All these locations are known even today by their names, as you've written.... except for Kannan Kavithalam - now this is called Kabisthalam (or, Kapisthalam, depending on who you talk to...)

Hope you have a good darshan of the Lord in all these temples.

For Kathie's info: Thirukkovilur (or more correctly, Thirukkovalur) has an important Srivaishnavite temple (one of the 108 "divya desams"). Here the God is worshipped in His Trivikrama form. The town is held in esteem by Srivaishnavites because this is where the first three hundred of the sacred 4000 verses (collectively known as Naalayira Divya Prabhandam) were sung, by the three Azhwars - Poigai-Azhwar, Boothath-Azhwar and Pei-Azhwar.
  • Shobha's mail talks about another set of Pancha Krishna Kshetrams - however, according to what I've heard from knowledgeable sources, Sridher's list is more commonly followed.

Shobha's description of Muniyodaram Pongal is absolutely right. This is something you can experience only in Thirukkannapuram.
  • Thanks to all of you.
    Kathie

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters