Golden Age of Tamil Nadu
  • Dear VK

The chola era was truly a golden era in Indian History though the Indian historians may not want to acknowledge it.

They jump from Golden age of Guptas to Mugals and British.

But there is a 300 year span where a Large Empire existed…spanning half of Indian peninsula, into Maldives and Sri lanka with successful overseas campaigns into Malay peninsula and Indonesia.

Art flourished Chola bronzes are still valuable

Architecture hit the skies

Irrigation and local administration was at its peak

More importantly it was all recorded

I am not sure how many of you viewed the Story of India which Thiru sent…

But the narrator explains why he thinks Chola times were at par with Golden age of Guptas….

Interesting comment ..you may think the British brought beuracracy and irrigation to India but that was not the case.

Kind Regards

Sri
  • -
    Dear Sridhar, (London based surgeon and one of the earliest memebers)

Missing your regular flow of mails..

Pls find more time ..

Greetings & besr regards , sps
  • good number of Far -East annexed under the rule of RjC,.....

Hi sps sir, not sure we can say annexed. Rajendra efforts were at best clinical assaults aimed at destroying the maritime (ports) power of the srivijayan empire. South east asia maybe...srilanka def yes, maldives ...not sure if it became a domain. Of the far eastern stats - srivijaya based out of modern day palembang to malaya were raised to dust. ( The famous bringing bk of the vijaya thorana)...kambosa desa was showering a lot of gifts ... The chariot inscription plus the kambosa stone. Maybe u could in that sense call them a fiduciary..... So I am not sure if annexation is the right term to put in general.

Infact that is what I feel is the main diff between rrc n rjc. Rrc for eg, worked at expanding chola empire ( rjc fought for him though) but he added real terriories, rjc's ganges campaign has various versions...incl an incursion.
  • Dear SPS

I would be curious to know how RJC had held the rule in kingdoms
    beyond Kalinga. His administration policies, I do not see them as
    anexures on Kulothunga I or later. Did RJC just plunder those
    kingdoms for wealth or was he in any way wanting to unite the
    subcontinent.

Was his purpose of overseas conquest also similar to concept of
    Alexander or just to get wealth?

If we negate both his subordinate and oversea conquests from his
    achievement, I would think Vichitra sithan aka M.Varman had a golden
    rule also and his son had extended the same too... barring the brutal
    burn down of Vatapi.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters