Veera pandiyan MAY NOT be Nandhini's father
  • Veera pandiyan MAY NOT be Nandhini's father

Sumeetha and Pavitra have presented interesting insights into Nandhini's parentage. My full appreciation to their
    efforts. What I'd like to present is an alternative.

* Pavitra says Serial novels (thodarkathai) suffer from some form of inconsistency and that Kalki did'nt plan to make Veera pandiyan - nandini's father and this was a later decision. Unfortunately, this is not true !
    Nandhini mentions very clearly that Veera pandiyan is her lover -not only in the first part (Pudhu vellam)
    (Nandhiniyin Kaadhalan) but even also in the fourth part !
    Just before the murder of Aditya, The head of Pandiyan appears before nandhini - and she exclaims and talks in
    hallucination like this " Oh Dear ! Have you come ? Welcome !....and so on ...". In fact if you carefully read
    the novel, you'll find that whenever Nandhini talks about Veera Pandiyan she always says that he is her lover -
    Even at that critical moment when Pandiya is in great danger!

* There is only one place where there is a contradiction - when she has her final talk with Aditya. Even here,
    Kalki does not provide this directly. He writes like this :
    Nandhini said ..."My father is .....father is................."
    Later Vandhiyathevan says to Kundavi that he overheard this conversation and heard that she was mentioning the
    name of Veera pandiya here. Now, why the author does not provide this fact directly during Nandhini's final
    dialogue and provides the info at a much later stage ? I think there is a very very definite purpose and
    I'll try to answer this question in another mail (Kindly ref my last lines in this mail)

* Thus Kalki very deleberately presents a very consistent picture throughout the Novel that Veera pandiyan is
    indeed Nandhini's Lover.

* The arguements that support the fact that VPandiyan is Nandhini's father come from Karuthiruman. But please
    remember
    - Karuthiruman is totally inconsistent in his story. At one point of time he says he fathered nandhini!
    - This fellow has no interest in cholas and is very faithful to pandiyas.
    - There is no reason for him to reveal such a big secret to Vandhiyathevan, that too during a time pass chat !
    Remember that he deserts vandhiyathevan instantly !
    - Thus all of his statments are to be rejected. Infact this fellow is more dangerous that all others and there is more to him that what meets the eye ( I plan to write about him in a separate mail - sometime in the future).

* In the conclusion (mudivurai) he wrote for PS ( I don't know whether all of you have read the conclusion. It is
    very important for the novel as a whole), Kalki says :
    "Just before her death, Nandhini reveals her birth secret to Arulmozhi..."
    If Kalki felt that the secret has already been revealed through Vandhiyathevan he need not have written these lines
    at all. The fact is that Kalki deliberately confused the readers - he had many more ideas about the characters them
    selves and possibly had an idea of continuing the story even further !

Now the question is : WHO COULD HAVE FATHERED NANDHINI, IF NOT VEERA PANDIYAN ?????

I plan to take this topic in the near future.
    Meanwhile your comments on this mail are most welcome.
  • WAS CASUALLY GOING THROUGH THIS OLD MAIL OF GOKUL DT: 14.08,2002.

WAS ALSO READING SR BALASUBRAMANIAN's VIEWS ON :

1. Whether BOOTHI VIKRAMA was of Parantaka II (Sundara) or Parantaka I

2. Whether Veerapandian was contemporary of Parantaka or Aditha Karikalan.

Kalki has cleverly mixed details of History with Fiction and made to look almost like History.

views please.

sps

================
  • Dear SPS

Kalki plays with the fact very cleverly...He claims Vikrama Kesari was young during Parantaka's time end of his regime and with Kandirathitha's regime lasting only a short span ...he served Parantaka II

Considering the time difference from end of parantaka i to Parantaka ii was only 20 years he could have served both

Parantaka Chola I
    907–950

Gandaraditya
    950–957

Arinjaya Chola
    956–957

Sundara Chola
    957–970
    Kind Regards

Sri

If I can stop one heart from breaking,I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin, Into his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    Emily Dickinson

To: ponniyinselvan@yahoogroups.com
  • DEAR DR. SRI,

YOUR ATTENTION IS ALWAYS AMAZING.

Inspite of such busy Schedules.

Let me put what I gathered on these for further discussion soon.

with very warm regards. sps

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters