Mutiny on the Bounty
  • Hi,

The discussion on English novels has become interesting. Has any of our members read the "Bounty" trilogy?
    "Mutiny on the Bounty", "Men against the Sea" and "Pitcairn's Island". The trio of books - relating to the real life happening on the Royal Navy ship "Bounty" in the late 18th century is a classical tale of intrigue, rebellion, revenge and suspense. Co-authored by Charles Nordhoff and James Norman Hall it's available in amazon.com. The tale, well-known, has been shot thrice on celloloid, the first one in 1935 and my personal favourite, starred Charles Laughton as the tyrannical capt. Bligh and Clark Gable as his first-in-command Fletcher Christian who led the rebellion aboard the ship. The second one was made in technicolour and starred Marlon Brando as Christian and Trevor Howard as Bligh and the last in the 1980s featured Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins, with lot of nudity thrown in as the happenings are taking place in the pacific islands once Christian and his fellow-rebels set sail away from where the mutiny took place. If I can get my hand on the three books, which I read as a schoolboy, I would consider myself lucky.
    Another superb WWII-time book was "Run Silent Run Deep", a classic about warfare against the Germman U-boat menace by Edward L Beach also made into a movie, with Burt Lancaster and Clark Gable in it. Isn't it
    significant to know that Arthur Conan Doyle, the creator of Sherlok Holmes, had warned about the menace that can be posed by the U-boats as early as the 1920s.

Ramaswamy

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters