Sellandi Amman and Karuvurar
  • The deity in this temple is believed to have given the final ruling with regard to the borders for the lands of Cheras, Chozhas and Pandias. Interesting read.

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/fr/2002/08/23/stories/2002082301170600.htm

The article also mentions another Rama temple, adjacent to the Amman temple. If you read the article (I dont know if I misunderstood or overlooked), there is a picture of the temple. Is that the picture of the amman temple, or rama temple. The descriplion in the text is more of a shivite temple, and the pic shown is a vaishnavite temple.

How I stumbled onto this article:

I was looking around to see who Karuvurar was. Was he the actual architect of the Thanjavur temple (I read it in a book on the temple somewhere)? The temple mentioned in the article has a statue of Karuvurar.

Was he an architect and a siddha doctor? There are manuscripts by this person, so he is a doctor for sure.

http://www.unesco.org/webworld/mdm/1997/eng/india/india.html

So, was he just a siddhar who helped Rajaraja consecrate the shrine, or was he the architect? If he wasnt, who was the architect? Do we have any records on this? Does anyone know?

Waiting for inputs...

Thilak

Ask. Don't assume.
  • Dear Thilak
    Karuvurar was a siddar and yogi not an architect...He was the king Rajaraja spiritual advisor of sorts....You have seen his temple in periya koil..
    There is a local legend....There are some lizards in the tree behind the karuvurar sannithi in periya koil. If yoiu think of something and pray your wish will be granted if you spot one or more of the maraballis on the contrary if that wish was unattainable...you will not see a lizard even if you stand upside down....Personal experience..thilak will agree..
    There is also a legend that karuvurar predicted the advent of europeans and that is why Rajaraja erected the Western bust on the northface of the temple as a warning to his future generations.....I shall upload a picture of that tommorow
    Thilak Did you notice that the Unesco calls Rajaraja Founder of Chola Kingdom on their World Heritage Site.
    http://whc.unesco.org/sites/250.htm
  • vanakkam!

indha nizharpadaththil yenakku konjam santhaegam..

http://www.geocities.com/jaybee555/kuundhal/kuundhalsundarapandya1.jpg

paandiya mannar ippadi nirppadhan porul yenna? what does this
    posture mean?

idhaey maadiri naanga Muthal Yaaththirayin boadhum paarththome oru
    idaththil.

Rajaendhra chozhan Rajaraja chozhanukku mudhal devasam kuduththu
    mudiththavudan, rajaendra chozhanai sethukkiya padam endru Thiru.
    Sundar Baradwaaj sonnaar...

oru arasan appadi nirppadhu yenakku appavaey romba uruththichchu...
    ippa indha mannanum adhaey maadiri, kaiyai kooppikondu, elimayaana
    aadayudan... (oru velai, kovilil kadavulai vananga
    ippadithaan "seerudai"ya andha kaalaththula?)

aaga, yenakku ippa indha vishayaththa therinjukkalainna mandai rendaa
    poidum...

sundhara paandiyar dhevasam pannum boadhu yaaravadhu ippadi
    yeduththuttaangala? dhevasam pannum boadhu ippadi yella arasanum
    ninnu, "indha putchchukko oru photo" (silai) appadeennu
    yeduththuppaangala?

moolai namaichchaludan,
    krupa
  • Hi Friends,

The name of the chief sthapathi is Rajaraja
    perunthachar. I don't remember the name of his two
    assistants and i will let you know tomorrow.

As Balakumaran said, in Chidambaram temple, there is a
    painting of Rajarajan with his 14 wives. He is looking
    very masculine and not feminine as portrayed in the
    paintings of PS. In that he is having moustache and
    beard and the posture is very mejastic.
  • Dr Jaybee

The bronze statue of Rajaraja inside periyakoil om the leftside of the main sannithanam showing him worshiping the urchavaamoorthy and parvathi and the statue of Rajaraja in the Kodikambam next to the nandhi where again he is worshiping the lord...both have only a mousthache!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kamal....In Maniam's pictures men have a feminine features but Vinu's ( In second publication) they are not that feminine....

Sridhar
  • Hi Friends,

There were three sculptors ( not two ) assisted Rajaraja perunthachar
    for building periya koil. Their names are

1. Umapathy
    2. Dhaanumaalayan
    3. Viswanathan

The blue print of the temple was made in kanchi under the supervision
    of Rajendra chozhan.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters